Which Hair Loss Conditions Affect Children?
There are various medical conditions that are known to cause hair loss in children, including:
- Tinea Capitis: This the most common cause of children losing their hair. Also known as ringworm of the scalp, it is a disease caused by an infection of the skin.
- Alopecia Areata: A non-contagious condition that manifests itself as smooth, round or oval patches of hair loss. These patches occur when the immune system attacks the hair follicles. These physical manifestations can appear as quickly as overnight.
- Telogen Effluvium: Severe or sudden stress caused by traumatic events, illness, or injury can lead to an interruption of the natural hair growth cycle. This can cause some or all of the hair to go into the resting phase, which leads to partial or complete baldness.
- Newborn Hair Loss: During the first few months after a baby is born, it is not uncommon for them to experience hair loss. However, the baby hair that is lost will be replaced with permanent hair.
- Cancer: Children undergoing cancer treatments will often experience anagen effluvium. This sudden onset of hair loss is due to the intensive drugs used during chemotherapy, as well as radiation.
Other Causes of Pediatric Hair Loss
In addition to medical conditions, there are several other factors that may cause your child to lose their hair such as:
- Excessive rubbing
Both excessive rubbing and trichotillomania can lead to the development of traumatic alopecia, a form of hair loss caused by behavioral factors that cause tension and damage to the hair follicles. We can provide an in-depth evaluation during the initial consultation to determine the reason for the change in hair growth.
How Can True and Dorin Medical Group Help?
Fortunately, the medical conditions associated with hair loss in children can usually be treated with prescribed medications that can stimulate regrowth. In regards to the habitual causes, behavioral changes will be necessary to prevent hair from continuing to fall out. It is important to seek a professional diagnosis from one of our experienced doctors so that your child can receive the proper treatment for their condition.
Our team is knowledgeable, experienced, and dedicated to creating a positive experience for your entire family.
True and Dorin Medical Group has been helping families diagnose and remedy hair loss for decades. We understand that children experiencing hair loss can be in a delicate state and are dedicated to finding a solution that provides lasting relief. Our team is knowledgeable, experienced, and dedicated to creating a positive experience for your entire family.
Choose Unparalleled Care for Your Child
Dr. Dorin and Dr. True can provide professional care that is tailored to the needs of your child. Ensure that he or she receives the best, individualized hair restoration treatment by contacting us online or calling us at (866) 629-0866.